The is a 10-week course which includes five (5) learning modules (see schedule below) and is limited to 30 seats. This course is now FULL - if you are interested in attending, please contact us to be put on the waitlist LearningCenter@apta.org
Each module will include:
- a recorded presentation
- assessment of learning
- guided discussion forum
- live calls with the instructor and facilitator(s)
- additional modes of communication designed to support a community of practice.
Community members will be expected to share resources, challenges, and successes while learning and applying course information.
The course instructor and facilitator(s) will provide the participants with responses to their questions,
reading materials and other resources to support ongoing learning during and following the course.
Whether acute, chronic, acquired, or congenital, children with complex disabilities often demonstrate impairments across cognitive, sensory, and motor domains.
It is often difficult for inter-professional team members, including physical therapists, to identify subtle abilities and skills of individuals with complex disabilities that may enhance their quality of life and participation. Using the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF) framework, quality of life (QOL) and humanism conceptual models, learners of this course, focused on children with complex disabilities, will:
- define and differentiate children with complex disabilities;
- review, develop, and implement pediatric physical therapy evaluations;
- examine and apply existing pediatric outcome measures and interpret results;
- develop and measure goals using the Goal Attainment Scale (GAS); and
- describe, develop, as well as share knowledge concerning adaptive equipment, assistive technology, and treatment strategies.
The 5-modules are:
- LMS-800 - Module 1: Defining Complex Disabilities in Children
- LMS-801 - Module 2: Assessment and Evaluation of Children with Complex Disabilities
- LMS-802 - Module 3: Developing an Outcome Toolbox for Children with Complex Disabilities
- LMS-803 - Module 4: Measurement and Interpretation of Goals in Pediatric Physical Therapy
- LMS-804 - Module Module 5: Adaptive equipment, assistive technology, treatment strategies, and participatory activities for Children with Complex Disabilities
Schedule Overview (This is subject to change depending on where you are located - Stay tuned):
- The course will kick off on March 1 with a tech overview and Module 1 discussion based on the recorded presentation
- Module 2 starts on March 6 and the Live session is March 13
- Module 3 starts on March 14 and the Live session is March 27
- Module 4 starts on March 28 and the Live session is April 10
- Module 5 starts on April 11 and the Live session is April 24
- The Final Exam requires that you complete assignments within each module.
- The course ENDS on May 8, 2017