The is an 8-week course which includes five (5) learning modules (see schedule below) and is limited to 30 seats.
Each module will include:
- recorded presentation and handout(s)
- assessment of learning
- guided discussion forum
- assignments which may or may not be presented to the class
- live calls with the instructor and facilitator(s)
- additional modes of communication designed to support a community of practice.
Community members will be expected to share resources, challenges, and successes while learning and applying course information.
The course instructor and facilitator will provide the participants with responses to their questions,
reading materials and other resources to support ongoing learning during and following the course.
Whether acute, chronic, acquired, or congenital, children with complex disabilities often demonstrate impairments across cognitive, sensory, and motor domains.
It is often difficult for inter-professional team members, including physical therapists, to identify subtle abilities and skills of individuals with complex disabilities that may enhance their quality of life and participation. Using the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF) framework, quality of life (QOL) and humanism conceptual models, learners of this course, focused on children with complex disabilities, will:
- define and differentiate children with complex disabilities;
- review, develop, and implement pediatric physical therapy evaluations;
- examine and apply existing pediatric outcome measures and interpret results;
- develop and measure goals using the Goal Attainment Scale (GAS); and
- describe, develop, as well as share knowledge concerning adaptive equipment, assistive technology, and treatment strategies.
The 5-modules are:
- LMS-878 - Module 1: Defining Complex Disabilities in Children
- LMS-879 - Module 2: Assessment and Evaluation of Children with Complex Disabilities
- LMS-880 - Module 3: Developing an Outcome Toolbox for Children with Complex Disabilities
- LMS-881 - Module 4: Measurement and Interpretation of Goals in Pediatric Physical Therapy
- LMS-882 - Module 5: Adaptive equipment, assistive technology, treatment strategies, and participatory activities for Children with Complex Disabilities
Schedule Overview (This is subject to change depending on where you are located - Stay tuned):
- The course will kick off on August 16 with a tech overview and Module 1 discussion based on the recorded presentation
- Module 2 starts on August 16 and the Live session is August 28
- Module 3 starts on August 28 and the Live sessions are September 11 and 12
- Module 4 starts on September 13 and the Live presentation is September 26
- Module 5 starts on September 26 and the Live session are Octoer 10 and 11
- The Final Exam requires that you complete assignments within each module.
- The course ENDS on October 16, 2017